Andrew S. Buzin has participated in the resolution of plaintiffs’ cases for over $35 million. Some of his featured results include the following:
$28,000,000 Verdict for Negligent Supervision/Negligent Security, Causing TBI and PTSD
A 14-year old cognitively-impaired girl was allowed to leave school grounds and was led off campus by an older male student who raped her. Three months later, the school again failed to supervise the girl according to its “eyes on” policy, and she was savagely assaulted and battered in the girls’ locker room. The incident was video recorded by one of the assailant’s friends and posted on the internet. A Westchester County jury allowed the girl to recover $8 million for past pain and suffering, and $20 million for future pain and suffering.
***CLICK LINK FOR MEDIA COVERAGE***: https://buzinlaw.com/2018/12/coverage-of-the-28-million-record-breaking-verdict/
A 55-year old man presented to the hospital with perforated diverticulitis, a surgical emergency. His condition was not treated properly for over 24 hours, which resulted in him suffering respiratory failure, septic shock, cerebrovascular accident, and an enteric fistula. We reached a settlement at mediation on the eve of trial, which will allow our client to receive the treatment he needs for the rest of his life.
A young woman was told by her doctors that she had been cured of breast cancer; based on that advice, and with her doctors’ blessings, she became pregnant. As her pregnancy proceeded, she became ill and landed in the emergency room. Her doctors misread her test results and, not only did she have breast cancer, but it also had spread to her liver. She delivered a healthy child, but she faced a critical illness. We reached a settlement for this client that provided for her future financial needs.
A 45-year old laborer began experiencing severe back pain while he was working. Despite making multiple complaints to his doctors of symptoms that included saddle numbness, the doctors did not implement a surgical plan for him, which led to bowel and bladder incontinence and the need for leg braces. This settlement allowed for his family, including his special needs stepson, to live without fear of financial ruin.
During a caesarean section, the surgeon believed he had punctured an organ. Even though the mother complained of pain throughout the hospitalization, the hospital negligently discharged her. When she was forced to return to the hospital for internal bleeding, she was discovered to have suffered major internal damage and she required a total hysterectomy. While no sum of money could compensate the mother for this loss, she was allowed the only recompense that the system could provide.
An 86-year old woman was struck and injured by a van that failed to follow the rules of the road. We helped the injured woman file a suit against the driver and owner of the van and ultimately recovered based on a jury verdict of $600,000.
A 70-year old woman who had undergone an MRI three years earlier discovered that she had thyroid cancer. It turned out that the radiologist who had interpreted the MRI films indicated that the woman required further workup to determine whether the neck mass was malignant. After a total thyroidectomy following her Stage III/IV diagnosis, Buzin Law reached a settlement to compensate her for her loss of her best chance of a cure at an earlier stage.
A tenant slipped and fell down a staircase in a building owned by a New York City entity. That building’s management failed to repair the handrail in a timely manner, which led to the tenant fracturing her foot and needing surgery. Before even filing a lawsuit, Buzin Law resolved the case for the tenant for $250,000.
- $2,350,000 – settlement for victim of rear-end collision
- $2,250,000 – settlement for bicyclist hit by SUV
- $1,000,000 – failure to diagnose and treat prostate cancer
- $1,000,000 – failure to timely diagnose and properly treat eye infection
- $1,000,000 – IV extravasation on infant’s foot
- $945,000 – bed sore / decubitus ulcer / pressure ulcer and fractured femur
- $900,000 – failure to properly diagnose and treat osteomyelitis
- $875,000 – engineering negligence / HVAC system
- $850,000 – failure to properly perform an anastomosis leading to wrongful death
- $800,000 – erb’s palsy
- $725,000 – leg fracture from boat crash
- $670,000 – failure to properly perform bilateral hip replacement surgery leading to drop foot.
- $650,000 – surgical intervention following auto collision
- $500,000 – failure to diagnose and treat heart attack
- $500,000 – failure to diagnose and treat a periampular lesion
- $500,000 – failure to timely diagnose and treat necrotizing fasciitis
- Markel v. Pure Power Boot Camp, 171 A.D.3d 28 (1st Dept. 2019)
- Curtin-Danner v. Powers, Queens Supreme Court, Index No. 704252/13; New York Law Journal — September 16, 2015
- Berton v. Vassell, 2013 Jury Verdicts LEXIS 7327 (June 13, 2013)
- Sehnert v. New York City Transit Authority, 95 A.D.3d 463, 942 N.Y.S.2d 871 (1st Dept. 2012)
- Ballek v. Aldana-Bernier, 100 A.D.3d 811 (2d Dept. 2012)
- In re Complaint of Messina, 574 F.3d 119 (2d Cir. 2009)
- Torres v. Ashwamy, 24 Misc.3d 506, 875 N.Y.S.2d 781
- Mendez-Rico v. Jain, New York Supreme Court, Index No. 116832/05; New York Law Journal – October 9, 2008
- Sanderson v. Lonero Transit, Inc., 51 A.D.3d 764, 857 N.Y.S.2d 911 (2d Dept. 2008)
- Faulks v. United States of America, 552 U.S. 809, 128 S.Ct. 38, 169 L.Ed.2d 10 (2007)